Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake



Last night I woke up at 4am and my face and nose were freezing, so of course I woke up poor sleeping Derrick to tell him I think there is a problem with the heater.  Wonderful guy that he is, he got our of our nice, warm bed to check things out.  Sure enough, the thermostat said 49 degrees!  I was extremely worried.  I do not handle cold very well.  And of course this would happen on a Saturday when we are both off the next day.  Derrick went into the basement and magically fixed it!  About 10 minutes later we were up to 50 degrees and there was definitely heat coming out of the vents.  What would I do without him??
I was already planning on cooking breakfast since we were both off and Derrick took me out for an amazing Cajun dinner at Jazz the night before.  And after fixing the heater at 4am, making breakfast was the least I could do!

I found this recipe on Pinterest.  I halved it and made it in an 8x8 pan.  The cream cheese layer makes it truly delicious!  Derrick likes it better than the Cinnamon Roll Cake.
CAKE
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

FILLING
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 egg yolk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

TOPPING
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with oven rack set to second lowest position.  Grease a 13x9 inch pan.

Cream butter with sugar (3-4 minutes), add egg and sour cream and continue to beat (about 3 minutes).  Sift together flour and baking powder.  Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture.  Beat well until combined.  The batter will be very thick.  Spread a little more than half the batter into the prepared pan. 

In another bowl, cream together all filling ingredients, then carefully spread over the first layer of the cake batter.  Spoon the remaining cake batter over the top of the cream cheese mixture.  I tried to spread it around, but it really is too thick to spread too much. 

Mix all topping ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork until the consistency is like crumbs.  Sprinkle over the top.  Bake for 50-55 minutes until the middle feels set and not jiggly.  I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8x8 pan.  In our convection oven it only took 42 minutes.  I suggest storing leftovers in the fridge because of the cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment