Saturday, February 4, 2012

Spicy Chicken Pasta


While my grandmother, Neva, was in town from Bowling Green, Kentucky, we wanted to host my family for a post-Christmas dinner.  Neva had never been to our house, and we like entertaining anyway.  I was trying to decide what to make for this crowd of 7 people and finally decided on this recipe I found on Pinterest which is based on the Buca Di Beppo dish.  The family was impressed and Derrick really liked it!  Perfect choice.  I served it with garlic bread, salad and wine (which my parents so nicely brought), and S'more crescents for dessert!

1/4 cup oil
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
6 ounces chicken, sliced
3/4 cup Marinara sauce
1/2 cup Alfredo sauce
1/4 cup peas
1 pound pasta, cooked according to package directions - recipe calls for Rigatoni, I used spiral noodles
additional crushed red pepper for garnish

Heat oil over medium heat.  Add crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper, and garlic.  Saute just long enough for garlic to caramelize and red pepper to release flavor into the oil.  Add sliced chicken and saute to coat in spices and garlic.

Add Marinara sauce first then Alfredo sauce and bring to simmer.  Cook until sauce thickens slightly and chicken is thoroughly cooked.  Turn off heat, add peas and incorporate into sauce.
Drop cooked pasta in boiling water for 3 seconds.  Let drain for 15 seconds.  I did not do this step.  Instead I added some olive oil to the cooked pasta to try to keep it from sticking, but it was still a little sticky.  Toss pasta with sauce.  Place pasta and sauce in pasta bowl, reserving the majority of the chicken to be placed on top of the pasta.  Garnish with crushed red pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment