Saturday, October 5, 2013

Mexican Quinoa

This is my first quinoa recipe!  I have been wanting to try it for quite a while since it is so healthy.  It is a complete protein that contains all nine essential amino acids and has almost twice as much fiber as other grains.  I was a little worried that Derrick may not like it, but he really did and wants me to make it again which is great because it is incredibly easy.

We ate this with cheese, salsa, and tortilla chips, but it would also be good in tortillas.  Next time I want to make guacamole to go with it.

My friend Lexie introduced me to these all-natural veggie chips from Costco.  Michelle has a Costco membership, so she took me one day.  That place is amazing!  Their wine selection is humongous and very reasonably priced.  I am getting low on these chips so will have to have her take me again soon!

3-4 jalapenos, chopped
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 1/4 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken broth)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, with juices (I used a can of Rotel, with juices)
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 of a lime, juiced
In a medium pan stir together quinoa, jalapenos, broth, beans, diced tomatoes, corn, and salt.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.  Simmer for about 25 minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed.  Remove from heat.  Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.  Serve as desired with cheese, salsa, avocado, sour cream, or guacamole.





No comments:

Post a Comment