We both loved this fresh, summer recipe from Pinterest. I was wondering if Derrick would like it or not, and he loved it. We will definitely be making it again. The slaw that goes with it has a really good citrus flavor. Instead of shredding a cabbage, I ended up buying a bag of slaw (from the bagged salad section) because it was on sale and cheaper than buying a cabbage. Next time I would like to grill the corn and shrimp for more flavor. Whenever we make soft tacos, we heat the tortillas on a tortilla pan we "borrowed" from our friend Bartlow. It really transforms store bought tortillas and makes them taste homemade and fresh. I think you could warm them similarly in a regular pan on high heat, flipping the tortilla back and forth until it bubbles.
Speaking of Mexican food, this summer I planted cilantro and tomatoes and want to make homemade salsa when the tomatoes are ready. The kinds of salsas that Derrick and I prefer have a fire-roasted flavor. If you have any suggestions on how to make homemade salsa that way, please let me know! Thanks!
Ingredients
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (I used the juice of one orange)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used the juice of one lime)
2 tablespoons sour cream (I used more like 4 tablespoons)
salt
pepper
1/4 small cabbage (8 ounces), shredded
1 cup corn kernels (from 1-2 ears, or frozen and thawed)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (Next time I will not seed it) and juice
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
8 soft taco sized flour tortillas, warmed
In a large bowl, whisk the orange and lime juices, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. I also added some jalapeno juice.
Add the cabbage, corn, and jalapeno and toss to combine. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Heat the oil in a medium skilled over medium-high heat.
Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook until opaque throughout, 2-3 minutes.
Serve the shrimp with the tortillas and the slaw.
No comments:
Post a Comment