Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Crock Pot Potato Soup



I have been trying to find more soup recipes now that it is getting colder.  This one is so easy!  I really did not expect much from it because of its simplicity, but I thought it was really good and Derrick liked it too!  It was such a perfect night to have it because I thought it was freezing in our house (I’m always cold – it really wasn’t freezing to normal people) and was all cuddled under blankets eating this soup.  Derrick suggested using cubed potatoes instead of the hash browns so that there would be little pieces of potatoes in the soup.  We’ll do that next time.  We also thought it would be delicious in a bread bowl.  I’ll have to look for those.  We halved the recipe below.  If we did the whole recipe it would not fit in our crock pot.  I would have liked to have had some leftovers for work lunches, so maybe we should ask for a big crock pot for Christmas?

The Recipe (which we halved)
30 oz. bag frozen hash brown potatoes (or cubed potatoes)
3 cans (14 oz.) chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
You can add half a chopped onion, but we don’t care for onion.  I added some garlic powder and onion powder and pepper though
1 block cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat.  Don’t use fat free – it won’t melt.)
Toppings: cheese, sour cream, bacon pieces, chopped chives, or whatever sounds good!

Put all ingredients except cream cheese in crock pot.  Cook on low for 6 hours.  One hour before serving add the cream cheese.  Serve with toppings of your choice and crackers or French bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment