Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Lovers Granola




A friend, Kelly, introduced me to this blog, Sally's Baking Addiction.  I was just browsing looking for future recipes (for when Kelly and I have a baking day in February!) when I came across a couple that we actually had all the ingredients for including whole wheat flour and coconut oil.  This is my first experience with coconut oil.  It starts as a solid, and you melt it to cook with it.  However, we did run out of peanut butter since, for some purely coincidental reason, I chose two chocolate-peanut butter recipes.  My mom volunteered to run to the store to pick up some more!  I love cooking with my mom!  This recipe is great because it only requires 7 ingredients.  It's the perfect healthy snack for your sweet tooth.
3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup peanuts
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
melted peanut butter to drizzle (optional)

Use a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (sprayed with PAM) or a baking mat.  Set oven to 325 degrees.

Mix first three ingredients in a large bowl.  In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, melt peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil.  Add vanilla and stir.  Pour melted ingredients over dry ingredients and mix together.  Spread on baking sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

After removing from the oven, it is optional to sprinkle chocolate chips on top and stir together so that the chocolate melts a little and forms clumps.  Before serving, you can also drizzle melted peanut butter on top.  You can eat it plain or over yogurt, with milk, or over ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment