Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mexican Chicken Casserole


I found this recipe on Pinterest.  The first time I made it was when we went to see our friends Tom and Hannah Lemon and their new beautiful baby girl, Rose.  She is absolutely precious and perfect!  I didn't want to leave!  Can't wait to see you all again!

1 cup chicken broth
2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles
1 3/4 pounds skinned, boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce (One time I didn't have this so I used salsa and it turned out fine!)
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 ounce (about 6 chips) tortilla chips, crushed

Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet.  Bring to boil.  Add chicken and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done.  Turn chicken once while cooking.  Remove chicken from liquid, reserving cooking liquid.  Shred chicken.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In the large skilled combine cooking liquid, milk, 1 can of chiles, 1 cup of cheese, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce.  Stir well.  Stir in shredded chicken.  Cook 2 minutes until everything is melted.  Remove from heat.

Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.  I tear the tortillas in half first.  Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas.  Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chips.  Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment