Monday, March 12, 2012

Cheesy Potato Rice Soup and Beer Bread


Both of these recipes are from SOUPer Friday (the Friday before the Super Bowl at work where we brought in soups, breads, etc. for lunch).  The soup is from Becky Keith who is an excellent cook.  I have tried several of her recipes.  I made this one night that my brother, Keith, came over for dinner.  He really liked it and so did Derrick.  I was worried Derrick wouldn't like it because he usually isn't a fan of wild rice.  I'm glad I gave it a shot because he liked it a lot!  The beer bread is very interesting because it is so simple.  The beer acts as the yeast and allows it to rise.  I'm sure the butter on top is part of what makes it delicious - it has a very unique flavor and is very dense and filling.  I will be making this bread more often!  Thanks, Martha Vyhanek, for the recipe!

Cheesy Potato Rice Soup
1 box Uncle Ben's Fast Recipe Wild Rice
8 ounces Velveeta (I use white velveeta)
4 cups milk
1 can cream of potato soup

Make rice as directed in a large pot.  Add other ingredients, melt over medium heat, stirring frequently.  Total cook time 30-45 minutes.  Some variations are to add some vegetables (shredded carrots, diced celery, onions, or 1-2 diced potoatoes).
Beer Bread
3 cups of self-rising flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 beer at room temperature (oops mine was straight from the fridge - wonder if that made a difference?)
1 stick butter (I used half a stick to cut SOME calories)

Mix first 3 ingredients together.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Melt butter and pour on top.  Bake for another 10 minutes.  Store in a zip lock bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment