Sunday, September 25, 2011

Derrick's Amazing French Toast


This is the most delicious french toast!  Derrick found the recipe from a magazine and together we adapted it.  The first time he made it for me, I was in awe.  It was one of the yummiest breakfasts I had ever tasted. It is almost carmalized.   We have made it for my extended family at Christmas and for Derrick's family and friends at the lake.  It has always been a hit.  I have 1 1/2 or doubled the recipe for big groups.
3 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup syrup
cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
Texas toast bread
powdered sugar
Combine eggs, cream, syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan.  Warm over medium heat until very warm to touch and the flavors are fragrant.  Cool to room temperature (about 20 minutes).  Dredge bread in custard for a few seconds on each side.  Don't let it get soggy.  Fry 2 minutes, dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon, and flip.  Dust other side with powdered sugar and cinnamon.  Cook until sides are caramel-brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment