Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Rocky Road to Dieting


This week my students made marshmallow Snowmen.  They turned out so cute - the idea came from Pinterest.  However, I had quite a few marshmallows left over.  I knew I wanted to make something for our work Christmas party, and I wanted to find something to bring that had marshmallows so I could use up some of the leftover packages.  I found this recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything (a cooking blog I follow and get a ton of recipes from).  When I printed it, it cut off the name, so I asked Derrick to come up with a new one after he licked the spoon. It is basically Chocolate Fudge with marshmallows and nuts.  Very delicious.

10 ounces Hershey's milk chocolate bars, broken into pieces
6 ounces (1/2 package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cutt into pieces
2 cups sugar
6 ounces (1/2 can) evaporated milk
2 cups mini marshmallows
3-4 cups frozen mini marshmallows
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or peanuts (I used peanuts)


 
In a large bowl place broken milk chocoate bars, chocolate chips, and butter pieces.  Set aside.  In a large pan combine sugar, evaporated milk and 2 cups mini marshmallows.  Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly.  Then continue to cook and stir at a light boil for 7 minutes.


Remove from heat and immediately pour over the chocolate/butter mixture.  With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted and loses its shine.  Don't worry if it looks separated, just keep stirring.  As it starts to cool it will lose its shine.  Stir in the vanilla.  Add the frozen marshmallows and nuts.  Use a rubber spatula to spread onto a buttered or wax paper covered cookie sheet.

Cool completely.  You can speed this up by putting it int he refrigerator.  Cut into pieces and serve.  Store in an airtight plastic container.

No comments:

Post a Comment